Monday, June 18, 2007

Okay, time for an update.

Okay, I've been alerted to the fact that I've pretty much abandoned this blog and I should update. Things I've been doing as of recent:

1) Enjoying my job more. A new intern started on Thursday, and though he's an annoying dick, he makes life interesting. He does dumb, obnoxious things such as watches me do work instead of doing his own, making me do mine and his (he's supposed to be taking over half of my large project of calling hundreds of municipalities and getting info on whom the Dems and Repubs have nominated for various positions). Anyway, he makes it interesting because my coworker Sabrina and I have a fun give-and-take relationship -- lots of poking fun at one another, a bit of mild flirtation, and generally getting along while pretending we hate each other. It's hard to understand, but it's fun.
Also on work, I've been doing more interesting things after I asked for them. I'm calling Senators supporting bills, more blogging, going to press conferences (I'm probably on some local TV channel because I was standing behind the city council Speaker as she supported the Mayor's environmental plan holding a huge sign for our organization).
2) Been hanging out with Boris some, and he's got a lot to share. He may rarely be at home, but when we hang out, he just shares his perspective on the world which is wildly different than mine, especially given his immigration and war-torn past. He has become a bit like you, Mom. He asks me about alcohol consumption too much and forces me to clean, but it's better than Max (college roommate), who never cleaned and left his beer lying everywhere.
3) Went over to Aunt Annie's place in Westport, CT, where I hung out with her and my cousins Jason and Alex. I've never been that close to that part of the family. She's almost finished with her Ph.D dissertation on child development re:tragedy. She called her work "healing." Take as you will. Jason and Alex are doing well. Jason's still strong in his opinions and knows a lot about computers. Talking to him about internet privacy makes me realize I should delete this blog and destroy my computer, because the NSA probably has me, you, and everyone else bugged. Alex is glass-blowing and plans to find a college that has a place where he can better hone his artistic skill. He's made some really sweet stuff. Annie forced me to promise I'll come back soon, and I plan to. Easy train from Boston during the school year to a really sweet house with a nice Aunt.
4) The working out is going well. I see my posture is improving, and though I see that I'm not actually getting significantly bigger, I feel bigger, stronger, and more energetic. Nevertheless, I'm still not sleeping. My back hurt last night when I went to sleep and hurt in the morning. I'm on ibuprofen pretty much round the clock now. Sabrina, the co-worker, her dad's a pain doctor, and she told me I could call him if I wanted. It's not nearly painful enough. I texted the trainer, and he said that it's my bone shifting due to my core muscles strengthening. I hope that's true. We'll see. I'm eating 5 meals per day, per his instructions. That's fun, but harder than one would imagine. It means I bring a milkshake to work, eat a big breakfast and lunch, a mid-size dinner, and then a shake after dinner.
5) Matt, Dan, Garrett, and Aja have yet to show their faces in the city. I just IMed Garrett asking if they were coming and he replied "perhaps, Matt wants to come, but I am still unsure about scheduling for my work so I havent been able to say which weekend we should go." So we'll see if they follow through.
6) After-work activities: not many yet. Been to a couple internbars (see: internbar.com for more details -- a few times a week, interns working in the city are advised to all go to the same bar, meet, and get discounts on drinks), Harrison's comedy show (it was good), and little odds and ends. Hung out with frat bro Andrew last week and will again Thurs.

So things are more or less stable in NYC. I'm looking for more after-work activities, but I'm finding more slowly but surely.

No comments: